Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week 8: And We're Back!

I guess I should have never commended the coaching staff on making Matt Moore the starter for the Panthers. I feel like the news media, where I am just complaining about everything; even in times when the coaches seem to be doing exactly what I am asking them to do. You can see from one of my previous posts that I was completely against the 'switch' at QB coming out of the bye week. I was quick to swallow my tongue when we pulled out the narrow victory over the San Francisco 49ers. And you can see by my post that week I said, even though "I had some strong arguments opposing Matt Moore, I was happy he lead us to a victory" and I even said "John Fox was right decision making the switch". It turns out; I gave credit where credit was not due.


I tried to leave the past week victorious post up for as long as possible, it was such a good turn around for our team, it is hard to believe that I am back to looking at all of our problems.


The game started off as one of the slowest games I had seen in a long time. However, it did give us a chance to showcase just how dominant our Defense has really become under Meeks direction (even with losing the large salary Julius Peppers). But when our Defense continues to hold them to 0 points even after turnovers giving them great field position, we need our offense to make something happen.


The first issue that we had problems with was the play calling. Now I don't know if Jeff Davidson was drinking heavily the night before/during the game or if John Fox over stepped Davidson and said we are going to do something a little different today. Regardless the first two offensive play calls of the game were HORRENDOUS! ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS!! We have started the season at this point 1-5, clearly demonstrating that we are having trouble carrying out plays that should come second nature to a professional athlete; however our coaching staff decides that we must be so advanced (due to our first win of the season the week prior) that we should try trick plays and then yet another trick play (for an INT and a loss of 12 yards) because the first one worked out so well for us. When you are starting the season at 1-5, with a rookie heavy team, you do not go to trick plays, you work on getting the plays you got down pat. After those first two plays Jerry Richardson should have made a call and fired both of them on the spot.


The second issue we seemed to have was turning the ball over (surprise surprise), however we can not blame a couple of them on rookies. Two of the biggest momentum killers in the game were turnovers by none other than veteran Steve Smith. Steve Smith is one of the greatest WR in the league; however when he complains about not being involved in our offense and then we put the ball into his hands and he has multiple drops and fumbles. We have some issues. I admire Smith; I admire his will, his enthusiasm for the game/team, and his abilities as a player, but we must take care of the ball.


Lastly, our issue this week was the same issue we have had for the entire season. QB performance. We passed for just under 200 yards and had 1 TD to our 3 INT. If you look up the definition of Interception in the dictionary, they now have a picture of the Carolina Panthers. We are 1-6 in the first couple of weeks, we are not going to make the playoffs. This is marked up as a throw away year, a growth year, a rebuilding year, whatever you want to call it. Put in Jimmy Clausen and get some experience under his belt. Why wait? What are we gaining? What are we losing? It is becoming more and more painful to watch this team each week, committing the same mistakes, having the same problems, following the same game plan that continues to fail. I am just hoping that by the grace of God we return to our week 7 team!


ALWAYS AND FOREVER, GO PANTHERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment